With a reform bill that’s over 2,300 pages long, it’s no wonder people are so confused about the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare. Luckily, the experts have outlined some of the major changes, which include the following:
- Under the new healthcare plan, every citizen must have insurance or they will be fined 1% of their total income or $95 (whichever is greater).
- You can enroll either in person with the help of a “health navigator” or online at healthcare.gov.
- You can select your plan from among different providers.
- You can still get your health plan through your employer, but your premiums will probably increase.
- You can’t be refused coverage or charged more if you have a pre-existing condition.
- You’ll be able to get preventive care for free as long as you choose a doctor in your network.
- Medications that aid in quitting tobacco will be provided at no cost to you. Contraception is also free.